12/25/2017

interaction

Here we are on Christmas Day, according to the Gregorian Calendar. I'm very grateful. We will get to celebrate what has become fondly known as "Second Christmas" on January 7th (Dec. 25th according to the Julian Calendar, which is still observed by some Orthodox Christians).

I couldn't be more thankful for people with whom we share both Christmases. I'm sorry some no longer are with us, by choice or by circumstance. All who have shared my life have helped me see (and I still struggle to recognize) that this life does not belong to me. Actually the gift of life is real, and beautiful, because it is designed, and by nature exists, as interaction.

Art reveals this. Nature resounds with this. This tangible, non-vacuum actuality of not being alone. This treasure of multiplicity, which the noise I tend to make and to wrap around my heart often obscures.


My hope for 2018 is that I embrace more fully the work of entering into communion with others. The woman from church who "found" us while living on the street, hearing the bells ring and being touched by wonder. The single father with seven children and a mighty large old van to bring them to church in. The friend who apologized to me after services yesterday for something I could have let go of but held onto in anger. The friend who made by hand beautiful Christmas cards and sent me one, from across town and ideologies.



Family is the center of much of this dance of interaction. We know two families who were profoundly changed just yesterday. One by death -- the passing of a beloved wife newly baptized into Christian interaction. The other family welcomed its first baby, reminding me of Tim's and my amazing reception of each of our children right around First Christmas, in those hours when daylight flits away and things can look blackest. But active are the fluxes and surprises hearkening springtime, always and ever the result of our poor attempts at commonality, at sharing a meal, a present, twinkling lights, and sometimes understanding.


Today Tim and James both helped the media in its Christmas interactions. My parents and I joined them. I didn't mind tooling along uncrowded streets to our TV station break-room destination, to rejoice in a quiet gathering. For much of our visit, the sun shown in the window.

5 comments:

Fresca said...

Wonderful, meaningful photo of a flower touching the blown-seed pod (I think that's what it is).
Merry Christmas, one and two, to you and yours! XO Fresca

deanna said...

Thank you! Yes, the seed pods this year have fascinated me, along with some edible flowers that bloomed into November (calendula, I think?). I've greatly enjoyed your greetings, Fresca, both one and two. :)

Dee said...

Dear Deanna, we humans are social creatures. We develop into who we can be through interactions with others. Or so I believe. The past two years, when I've had to give up driving because of my compromised vision have somewhat turned me into a recluse. I have missed spending much time with others.

Phone conversations are welcomed, but oh, to see a facial expression and laugh lines map a face--those are joys I've missed.

So I've spoken to two family members and a friend and let myself be honest about my need to get out of the house and to do things. So this year I hope to see more movies and go to more restaurants and spend time walking with my nieces in the park. Go to museums and plays and in general enjoy the presence of those whom I cherish.

That's my resolution! Peace.

deanna said...

May this work out well, Dee. I imagine good experiences await for your dear ones who help you, also. I remember when my grandma needed my help to get around town. My kids were little, and they learned about interesting places in our city from her. Our limitations can help us stretch interactively!

Dee said...

Dear Deanna, thanks for saying that this might provide some good experiences for those for so generously will help me this year. That soothes my concerns. Peace.

Featured Post

New Playroom

I've been consumed for a few years by care for my parents, so writing has fallen by the wayside. In and for my heart, this has become a ...