6/19/2018

long and short

I had it pretty easy at the bookstore last week, this not being their busiest season. It gave me moments to think at the computer, speaking aloud as I remembered steps for entering things: "Oh, yes, I open another window for shipments, then click here to start a new order..." And on it went. Finally, Wednesday afternoon I caught up enough to reshelve some books and wander the stacks. They're so friendly.


My friendly boss took my picture so I could post it for Fresca, who is also now working with used books. Fresca's thrift store adventures include arranging her stock appealingly. Good thing I'm not charged with that task...But I do like helping customers find titles, searching our inventory and leading people on the sometimes lengthy trek to the proper area.

Visiting with people is often, for me, as challenging as arranging shelves would be. Responses must come quickly. Short thoughts and jumps of recollection are required. I probably spend more energy on this than anything.

Before returning to work, I thought about how I've had time for a while to think long thoughts. Though I tend to bounce between subjects and tasks at home (sometimes munching dark chocolate too often), there arrive stretches of moments where I engage and examine, travel and lengthen. Especially when writing, obviously. Sometimes just wandering the house and yard, hashing and rehashing, turning and overturning. Then suddenly observing light and shadow just so, and scooting inside for my camera.


4 comments:

Fresca said...

HOORAY!!! My sister-in-books!!! I love seeing you there at work.
I too have to adjust to the jump from long-thoughts to lots of quick mini-decisions (not even thoughts) and procedures--I'm having to make up new procedures, which is a challenge.
We have NO computer work at the store though, so except for what I invent for myself (ebay for the store and starting more Facebooking, etc.), I don't HAVE to do those scary tasks. Good for you!
I'm off to work right now--have a good day!

gz said...

oh to be back working with books...my friends!!
No wonder I can't reduce my bookshelves at home!

deanna said...

Fresca, I would so trust your thoughts (mini and otherwise) for new procedures. I'm glad your boss is doing so! Our store does most business online. After more than two decades, the procedures have evolved in part to maintain a decent seller rating at the largest internet bookstore. Stress arrives when something happens of which you-know-you will not approve. In fairness, their policies and procedures have at root the desire to make customers happy, same as ours. But it's intriguing to observe these interactions. And it's great I'm not in charge! Plus my boss, after more than two decades there, has maintained genuine kindness. Yay!

Gz, I know what you mean. Just when I decide to let go of a couple not-favorite books, more sure-to-become-favorites drop in and overflow the bookshelves!

Now I'm off to work, too! Thanks for connecting.

Dee said...

Dear Deanna, I, too, love books and have shelves full of them here in the house. Recently, I gave away all my novel--about 500--to a friend because I can no longer read regular print--just e-bookd which allow me to enlarge the type and large-print books.

and yes, I, too, have long, long thoughts followed by dingbat ones! Especially when I'm doing my eye drops. That happens 10 times a day and my thinking slows to almost nothing. Peace.

Featured Post

New Playroom

I've been consumed for a few years by care for my parents, so writing has fallen by the wayside. In and for my heart, this has become a ...