12/01/2018

news, wanderings, happy clouds


1. Gold Days

November came in dry, dry, with lovely leaves. I wandered in thought watching them sway and drift. Also I waited for my author's copy of Gold Man Review Issue 8, which arrived as bare branches emerged above the mailbox. My essay "Through Our Soil" gives an overview of James's journey with permaculture in our yard, plus my naive observations of it.

Before Thanksgiving, my parents took turns in the hospital. Mom suffered a small stroke, the kind where words toss themselves into salad--an unpalatable thing for her journalism-based standards. She is thankful the effects were temporary. Dad experienced chest pains and underwent an angiogram. This test's results reassured the doctors and Dad. He's home with Mom again now. They both were fine for turkey dinner, eating in style with us at Tim's dad and sister's new digs while clouds joyfully gathered outside and unloaded a generous helping of wet onto the world. Most of the remaining leaves browned and fell and began their decompositions for all to read.

2. A Reunion

Remember PBS's Bob Ross? His phrase "happy little clouds" came to mind on the recent day when my camera returned from the repair people. They had gotten the stubborn lens to retract, and afterward they were "unable to make it fail." In the rain I drove to pick up my dear old, lightweight, digital/mechanical friend and take pictures. Maybe next time I experience loss I will remember a bit more patience, maybe retain a smattering more trust in the weathers of life.




3. Palooka Deanna

This week to my surprise I was dubbed a "featured Palooka." By scrolling all the way down on Palooka Magazine's home page, you can view the notice of this honor. From the Issue 9 page, you can follow a link to my brief essay "Diminishing Lines," about an afternoon walk with my mom.

4. Fresh Perspectives, Young Love

A young Orthodox man, George, is staying with us in James's old room. How amazing to realize this adult person is years younger than Tim's and my youngest child; how startling to note lives blooming and maturing continually, and to see that for us this is the path to an elderly perspective! Whoa. Anyway, George got a typesetting job at Wipf and Stock Publishers, and his cubicle is upstairs from Windows Booksellers' front desk where I work, when I do. His first weeks there we greeted each other on the stairways, and I showed him where to find free parking.

Now I'm without bookstore work again for a while. This has given me time to get together for tea a couple times with George's girlfriend, Emily, who is a senior at none other than Gutenberg College, who also edits and writes, and who has become an Orthodox catechumen. Emily is a kick. Very sharp and laughs a lot. And again, so young! Getting to know her is enlightening/enlivening. In other news, last week George popped the question and Emily said yes.

5. Fast and Slow

We have begun the Orthodox Nativity fast, a different sort of Advent season than the one I grew up with. Still, it's connected to the idea of anticipation. For me, there's a daily easing off of life's accelerator, a further delving into and examination of what I see as the main thing in the universe, the desire of humankind to connect, to interact, to commune--each one's filigreed root tendrils searching beneath soil and decay to latch on, to intercept a message in reality of enlivened stirrings, of rescue and of home.

Home is what the evidence from scriptures and history point to, in a sort of chanted fresco, this ancient Christian belief. That's how I read it now.

May we all take this season's damp corners at a reasonable clip, remaining rooted while exploring connections. May candles pulse above our darkened labors, spearing our gloom whenever we glance heavenward to notice the happy clouds.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Dear Deanna, thank you for this "sub-titled" posting. I so enjoyed its tidbits. There were a number of links, but today is such a busy one that I didn't click on them. I will come back later and do so. I do want to read what you have written. May your Advent let light into the cracks of your being. Peace.

deanna said...

All the best to you, Dee! Thanks.

Featured Post

New Playroom

I've been consumed for a few years by care for my parents, so writing has fallen by the wayside. In and for my heart, this has become a ...