10/13/2007

Okay, just one more...

Near the end of his book, Stephen King says something I had to ponder this week:
Do you do it for the money, honey?

The answer is no. Don't now and never did. Yes, I've made a great deal of dough from my fiction, but I never set a single word down on paper with the thought of being paid for it...

I have written because it fulfilled me. Maybe it paid off the mortgage on the house and got the kids through college, but those things were on the side -- I did it for the buzz. I did it for the pure joy of the thing. And if you can do it for joy, you can do it forever.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

My sentiments exactly!!

It's why I don't submit.....why I am poor....why I don't pursue becoming better.....I just.plain.love it.

deanna said...

Yes, Cherie, I thought about you at this juncture. I have joy in my heart for you as someone who processes very well through words, but who doesn't feel a need to prove anything.

Perhaps there is less worry in the air at your house over what will happen during those looming retirement years. I don't begrudge one bit the contentment you have. I think I have it, too, but still there are days when desire to control raises its creepy little head.

I know if the writing I do is going to help our finances, it will, no matter what. And if it isn't going to, no amount of effort on my part will change that. I like thinking that what's meant to happen will. And I'm grateful Stephen King could give me permission, in a sense, to just do what comes natural for now (no real crisis at hand; only imagined future ones to wrestle with).

I'd still like to push a couple of control buttons myself....:oP

Featured Post

New Playroom

I've been consumed for a few years by care for my parents, so writing has fallen by the wayside. In and for my heart, this has become a ...